Soccer games have taken over the Play Store, and they all differ from each other on their approach to the whole experience. Some games offer almost the whole console package with exactly the same game modes. Others provide a more casual, mobile experience and that is where we would place FIFA Soccer.
FIFA Soccer offers a small download file, but it forces you to stay connected to the Internet the entire time you spend in the game. The game definitely has plenty to offer. In fact, there are so many different events, quests and things to collect, it can become overwhelming to someone who is there simply because of soccer.
You play by building your team and completing various events and challenges, including playing in the UEFA Champions League, completing campaigns, participating in leagues, and so on. Players are acquired either through packs, by completing certain challenges, or by trading in the market.
Multiplayer modes include VS Attack where you compete against a random online opponent and play only the chances in front of goal. The overall quality of your team determines what kind of chances you get! The second multiplayer mode is Head to Head where you play a real multiplayer match against an online opponent.
The gameplay feels kind of boring and this is a problem with almost every mobile soccer game we've played. There is a virtual joystick for moving the players, but there are less buttons when compared to other soccer games. Shooting, passing and the sliding tackle are performed by tapping and swiping on the screen, which is a nice touch.
Games are often too easy and defenders often freeze if you perform a skill move. Also, every player has a single skill move he performs all the time! Still, you can have plenty of fun with the game, especially with the multiplayer modes. VS Attack is very original and Head to Head is quite entertaining, but the game is slightly stuttering in this mode.
• A lite download and a full-licensed repertoire of teams and players
• Plenty of game modes to spend time on
• VS Attack mode is very original and entertaining
• Less buttons and more tapping and swiping was a hit
• An overwhelming amount of collectables and add-ons make the game more complicated than it has to be
• Gameplay is dull and it feels too easy at moments
• Events are often focused on collecting points which can take up time and feel boring
• Football fans! We've tweaked a few things to ensure the best football experience possible. Thanks for playing and let us know how you're enjoying FIFA Mobile!